As Women’s History Month approaches in March, the National Museum of Women’s History (NWHM) invites educators to renew their commitment to teaching inclusive history and social studies courses that include the achievements of women within the larger context of our national history.
NWHM is committed to collaborating with educators, students, and diverse audiences to develop and optimize learning opportunities that contextualize and give voice to the historical and current contributions of women.
Resources and learning experiences NWHM offers educators include:
- Classroom-ready digital lesson plans. The NWHM partners with social studies educators to create K-12 lesson plans and other classroom-ready resources for inclusion in the Museum‘s online collection of digital learning materials.
- Online exhibitions. NWHM’s digital collection currently hosts over 35 online exhibits on a range of topics relevant to women’s contributions and issues, including achievements in political and social activism, sports, STEM, arts and
- The NWHM biography project. The NWHM has written and compiled nearly 200 biographies of notable women, historical and contemporary, as part of the NWHM Biography Project. A living and ongoing tribute to women whose stories and accomplishments deserve to be told, the biography project grows with more than fifty new stories each.
- Courageous Virtual story time for girls. Designed especially for kindergarten and elementary school learners, the Brave Girls Virtual Story Time programs, led by NWHM authors and illustrators, offer a free virtual story time to read aloud via Zoom Webinar. A live Q&A about the story takes place at the end.
- Virtual Domain Travels. NWHM’s virtual field trips cover a variety of women-related topics, including women in STEM, women’s suffrage, and civil rights.
- Education: News and Resources – Monthly Electronic newsletter. Lesson plans, resource pages, interactive timelines, downloadable posters, virtual field trips, and online exhibits are some of the items NWHM features in its monthly e-newsletter.